Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Seeing the Humble Halle Berry

On Sunday, I had the great fortune to listen to Ms. Halle Berry speak for an event for the Joanne Baron/D.W. Brown studio. Out of respect for her privacy and keeping personal details to those who were there, I will just touch on some of the points that I feel really are worth hearing.

I was really struck by how humble Halle is - she's a beautiful star, but she has really worked to be an actress. Her mom raised her and her sister alone - and from that, Halle had gained the hard work ethic which she continues to have to this day. She basically said that she did not know anyone who truly worked hard and failed. And as an actor, you must always be ready to bring it - 100% - especially if there are those who will be judging you on the way you look and don't think you'd be a fit for a role just based on your appearance. You'd have to show them otherwise.

Another idea she stressed was not to think negatively. Accept criticism, but don't always do what someone else tells you to do. No one can tell you what to do - and you must remain true to yourself. I think that's a good life lesson, which isn't just applied to acting.

I didn't know much about Halle before the event - other than her being the first African American to win the Best Actress Academy Award and other tabloid fodder. But now I see her now as being a beautiful person, much more than just a pretty face, who has fought it out and remained true to herself. She is quite an inspiration.

My life and path will be different, of course. I'm still not entirely sure how it will play out - but I know I will have to work hard, stay focused, not lose faith, and remember to be true to myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More